Changes to Deer Damage Permits – Proposed
1. Allow Rifle Hunting for Deer on Deer Damage Permits in all areas of Frederick County
- Rifles are not legal in Southern Frederick County at this time – Change the rifle zone per attached Map created by DNR & Agreed to by Frederick County Farm
2. Allow rifle Hunting 365 clays per year for Deer, not only outside of the “annual bow season”, February –
- Bow season is primarily September -January, prime hunting Rifles cannot be used for Deer Damage permits during “Bow Season”.
3. Eliminate Exempt & Non-Exempt Classes
- Currently Non Exempt Hunters cannot use a rifle every day to hunt deer
Problem #1: Farmers & Landowners that receive a Deer Damage permit from DNR due to extensive deer damage are not allowed to use a rifle to hunt deer in Southern Frederick County. They need the extend reach and multiple shot capacity of a rifle help to control deer. They need the “Help” of Rifles to be most effective.
The allowable rifle area was recalculated last year by DNR and agreed to by the Frederick County farm Bureau. The rifle area now includes most of southern Frederick County, except Frederick City. A law needs to be passed to allow rifles to be used on Deer Damage Permits in southern Frederick County. Amended Map attached.
Problem #2: Bow season is primarily September -January, “Prime” hunting time. Rifles cannot be used for Deer Damage permits during “Bow Season”.
Problem #3: Exempt Hunters (Landowners & farmers) need help from others to control Deer. The “Help”, Exempt Hunters, must be allowed to use Rifles to be most effective at controlling the deer population.
Download the complete document here.